Sunday, September 10, 2017

Pleasing the Ghost

by Sharon Creech

Creech, S. (1996). Pleasing the ghost. New York: HarperCollins.

After the death of his father, nine-year-old Dennis begins seeing ghosts. Thankfully, they are friendly. In fact, one is his Uncle Arvie, whose speech is garbled due to a stroke prior to his passing. Dennis helps his uncle fulfill three wishes which positively impact Arvie's beloved wife. As a bonus, Dennis finds that he has something in common with the class bully, Billy, along the way.

I do not enjoy horror stories. Ghostly characters tend to stick in my brain and creep into my dreams. So, I was not drawn to the title of this book. However, upon seeing the cover, I decided to give it a go. I'm glad that I did. The ghosts were not at all scary...the way they appeared with a swirl of blue smoke was comforting. Uncle Arnie's speech was confusing at first, but by the end of the book, I understood it pretty well. In my opinion, Dennis was quite brave as he communicated with multiple ghosts and assisted his uncle. I expected the resolution of the story to be related to Dennis and his father, but the main story line and conflict were actually more linked to Uncle Arnie.

🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮

Author, Sharon Creech's website: http://www.sharoncreech.com/