Monday, September 4, 2017

Owl Moon

by Jane Yolen

Yolen, J. (1987). Owl moon. New York: Philomel Books.

A young girl has heard tales from her brothers’ experiences. Finally, she is old enough to go owling with Pa herself. In the middle of the night, they silently trek through the cold snow into the woods, full of hope, in pursuit of a Great Horned Owl. They are not disappointed.

Jane Yolen is a master of imagery in this book which engages the senses and captivates young children. This was one of the first books that I purchased when I started teaching PK and Kindergarten after graduating from college. My class loved it when I read the story to them; especially when I cried out dramatically, “Whoo-whoo-who-who-who-whooooooo.” We walked around the classroom searching for owls after finishing the book and they’d cry out with me. What fun! Owl Moon and We’re Going on a Bear Hunt (by Michael Rosen) are two of my favorites for acting out with students. Or, go deeper by discussing the tender relationship between father and daughter.

๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ๐Ÿ•ฎ

Author, Jane Yolen's website: http://janeyolen.com/

Read-alike:

Information, pictures, and sounds of Great Horned Owls: