Monday, October 16, 2017

In Daddy's Arms I Am Tall

Illustrated by Javaka Steptoe

Steptoe, J. (1997). In Daddy's arms I am tall. New York: Lee & Low Books Inc.

In Daddy's Arms I Am Tall is a collection of thirteen poems offering words of wisdom and celebrating family relationships between sons, fathers, and grandfathers.

Dads are great influencers of their children whether they realize it or not. These poems, which vary in length and form, testify to the positive lasting impression these critical men make. Javaka Steptoe's illustrations are extremely expressive. His use of screen netting, paper, paint, lace, and even dirt add depth to the words and appear dimensional on the flat pages. The poems paired with the pictures made me think deeply, helped me realize the impact my own father had on who I've become, and brought back joyful memories of my childhood. Enjoy...then go tell your father how much you love him!

🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮🕮

Javaka Steptoe's website: http://www.javaka.com/

Author/illustrator talks about his books: